Re: Scwm-0.99.2 pre-release available!

John Revan MacPhail <jrmacpha@math.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Greg,
>
> In effect, I am trying `rpm --rebuild *.src.rpm', on an MkLinux
> prerelease one system.  So my system is binary compatible with
> LinuxPPC R5 and YellowDog, though there may be differences in which
> packages are installed.
>
> Rebuilding works for guile-gtk-26Aug99-1gjb.src.rpm,
> guile-1.3.2-1gjb.src.rpm, scwm-icons-0.99.2-1.src.rpm, and
> scwm-post0.99.1-1.src.rpm -- and I can simply install all but the
> last, which wants Cassowary.  Incidentally, your guile*src.rpm creates
> both a guile and a guile-devel, which seems slightly odd.

Cool-- that's great that those all work... the guile.spec from Redhat
(which I migrated to guile-1.3.2) does the guile and guile-devel
separation so users can just instead guile instead of guile + all the
support header files, etc.

> What is Text-Balanced?

A Perl module that you need if you want to rebuild the documentation
from scratch.  www.cpan.org will let you find it (or there are copies
under dev-support on the ftp sites and the web page).

> So far, my attempts to rebuild Cassowary have failed, and here is the
> tail end of the messages from my last attempt:

<snip>

> My naive suspicion is that this might be related to java, which I
> don't otherwise use.  I have installed guavac-1.2-4, but what am I
> supposed to have?

The problems with the Java directories were harmless... I dropped Java
from the build but only did a partial job of it... you shouldn't need
Java at all.

The bigger problem is a mismatch of your g++ compiler version with
mine.  I'm using the one that came with RH6.0-- egcs-2.91.66.

> Also, I have so far been unable to rebuild GTL, but the problem may be
> coming from elsewhere -- the tail end of the messages is
>
> collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
> make[1]: *** [libGTL.la] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/GTL-0.3.1/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.72412 (%build)
>
> which presumably means something wrong with ld.

Yep... the linker seg-faulting is definitely a bug in the linker. I'd
upgrade to the latest g++ (gcc-2.95, maybe?) and try Cassowary and GTL
again.  If you still get an ld seg-fault, be sure to report the bug to
the appropriate folks.

I'll update the cassowary distribution sometime tomorrow with what might
be a slightly improved version for not-exactly-the-same C++ compilers.

Please update me with your progress-- I *really* appreciate your trying
these rebuilds out!

Thanks,
Greg