Re: Database access for Guile

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 01:35:13PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:

> So, limiting ourselves to the SQL-like databases, could someone
> volunteer to get together a group of the people who know something
> about databases?  I'd like those folks to:

Volunteered.

> - come up with a proposal for namespace structure within (db ...),
> - design our complement to Perl's DBI interface, and
> - provide a sample implementation for at least one database, based on
>   one of the existing sql interfaces.
>
> I don't care if you have the discussion on this list, or elsewhere,
> but please subscribe me if you create a new list.

I'm going to create a new list.  Announcement tomorrow.  Probably around
the same time that I see this message appear through the guile list.  This
list really needs some help :(

> Requirements:
>
> - We need a uniform interface, with ideas stolen from Perl's DBI.

Check.  Started looking through DBI sources yesterday :)

> - We need to be able to easily talk to multiple databases, from
>   different vendors, at one time.

That's an interesting thought... Good idea, not commonly needed, but it's
certianly necessary.

> Beyond that, do what makes sense.  :)

OK.

--
Peter C. Norton                      Time comes into it. / Say it.  Say it.
spacey@pobox.com                   | The Universe is made of stories,

                                     Muriel Rukeyser "The Speed of Darknesss"