Re: The GIMP! By gum, I forgot all about it!

"Maciej" == Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:

Maciej> What does SIOD do with set! that's so unusual?

SIOD, or at least the SIOD in script-fu, lets you set! a previously
unbound variable.  So (set! foo 5) is perfectly legal in script-fu,
but raises an exception in guile.  Unfortunately, a number of
script-fu script authors have made use of this anomalous behavior.

Maciej> This insufficiently portable point at least is definitely
Maciej> wrong - it builds on more or less any unix-like system, and
Maciej> uses autoconf so it probably builds even on systems the
Maciej> maintainers have never heard of. Has anyone here ever been
Maciej> unable to build Guile on a weird system?

I didn't say that it was; I said that it was _perceived_ that way.  I
think there is a concern that we'd lose one or more of our supported
architectures by adopting guile.  Probably the most problematic
architectures in this regard are OS/2 and Windows, neither of which is
UNIX.