Re: naming modules

b.stephens@isode.com writes:
> Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:
>
> > Actually, this in effect guarantees uniqueness by naming the module
> > according to its full path in the filesystem. I don't think that is
> > a good plan, it would make it impossible to write code that works on
> > more than one system this way.
>
> Why not adopt a CPAN (Perl) approach; a defacto global naming scheme
> for modules?  That works because there is, in fact, CPAN; if there's
> no obvious way for me to find modules, then I'm not going to know how
> they're named.

That's what we're trying to set up. Jim Blandy and I are working on
organizing something to work basically like this. The post I was
responding to was a counter-proposal. We haven't come up with a
definitive name yet, but I propose GMAP for Guile Modules And
Packages, or Guile Map, as you see fit.

> I presume the Python world has something similar.  Tcl doesn't, for
> some reason; perhaps packages and namespaces are just too new a
> feature in Tcl.

There are some tcl package archives, but not near as well organized.

 - Maciej