Re: gh_enter reconsidered

rosalia@cygnus.com writes:

>     Tim> Surely some other publicly available package must have had to
>     Tim> do the same thing?  If it's not running fast enough, we could
>     Tim> steal it....
>
> Whenever I mention the issue to the authors of other embedded
> interpreters, they say that they could not imagine the need to (1)
> burden their users with such an arcane approach as SCM's, and (2) use
> such an implementation-dependent feature as a top of stack.

Hmm, so how do they protect objects on the stack against GC? Do you
have to protect them explicitly? I know perl uses reference-counting
GC (or did last I heard), so I imagine they at least do that.

I think having objects on the stack automatically protected is very
much a big enough win to merit doing some system-dependent hackery.

 - Maciej