Re: Planned regexp change - comments & legal issues.

Harvey> I talked to Aharon Robbins (gawk maintainer) about gawk's
Harvey> regexp implemetation vs libc vs others (rx & Henry Spencer's
Harvey> code).

A few notes on Spencer's code: I believe his latest version includes
many of the Perl regex changes, and I know his latest version can do
matching against UTF-8 encoded strings.

The license is not a problem:

 * Copyright (c) 1998 Henry Spencer.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * Development of this software was funded, in part, by Cray Research Inc.,
 * UUNET Communications Services Inc., and Sun Microsystems Inc., none of
 * whom are responsible for the results.  The author thanks all of them.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms -- with or without
 * modification -- are permitted for any purpose, provided that
 * redistributions in source form retain this entire copyright notice and
 * indicate the origin and nature of any modifications.

I'd imagine that you'd have to do lots of other work to start using
his latest version, though.  In particular you'd want to change all of
Guile to use UTF-8 internally.

Tom