Re: Dybvig's syntax-case --- (ice-9 syncase) --- removed

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> I don't know anything about APC (not even sure what it is), but here's
> the story for Guile.

American Power Conversions? Something like that. They make
uninterruptable power supplies, but won't make the specs available
without a nda, making them pretty much useless under linux (since they
also don't support it). The problem that (was/is/will be) going on
here is that it was stated the code for apcupsd was under gpl (with
the specs determined by figuring out what was going on on the serial
port) but the sources were removed, due to pressure by the apc
folks. It seems to be a bit complicated due to the fact that other
people have contributed (though I'm not sure of the extent), so that
the license couldn't be changed without all of their permission. It's
not really a good example, but I was tired when I brought it up, and
it seemed relevent then ;)

> In general, before incorporating code into a GNU program, the FSF
> would like to have the author assign the copyright on the code to the
> FSF.  I think the concern is that, without an assignment, everyone who
> ever contributed to the GNU program owns a certain piece of the
> copyright on the overall work, which can be hell in a courtroom.  If
> you assign copyright to the FSF, you basically enable the FSF to act
> as the author --- set licenses, prosecute violators, etc. --- so these
> problems go away.

My thinking was more on the paranoid side of code being included in a
fsf project, then having the author turn around a year later and say
'hey!  you stole my code!' (and we all know of at least one big
company that isn't opposed to underhanded tricks, and certainly has
deep enough pockets for endless litigation).

--
Greg, and a healthy dose of M$ paranoia