Re: regexp profiling hell....

jimb@red-bean.com writes:

> > I agree with this sentiment overall. Even when the init files are
> > nicely cleaned up it would probably _still_ be better to ship them so
> > they install compiled. However, the Guile-modified version of Hobbit
> > is not necessarily ready for prime-time yet. Perhaps the freezer or
> > the unexec stuff could make a livable stopgap measure?
>
> I'm concerned about making the simplest Guile configuration (just
> guile-core) depend on Hobbit.

You could ship a .c file compiled with a version of Hobbit that you
know works. But I agree that it is not clear yet if Hobbit will so the
right thing in all cases on this file. Bernard mentions that he has
been compiling boot-9 for some time, but I'd be impressed if he has
actually managed to excercise all the cruft in there.

> Second, it seems like a lot of the crap in boot-9.scm is there to
> support the module system.  If Guile had an environment implementation
> in C, would there be enough left of boot-9.scm to be worth compiling?

Most of what was left could be then removed to separate module files
where it belongs, and there would be little of interest left. But I
think Harvey's original point was more that this has not happened yet
and might not for some time; until then it would be nice to speed up
startup time in an orthogonal way.

I personally think compiling all of Scheme files shipped with Guile
(into loadable modules when necessary) should be supported at an
appropriate time, however, perhaps as a configure-time option, even if
some files are fairly small.

 - Maciej