Re: I wish...

Ray Lehtiniemi writes:
 > On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 03:53:31PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:
 > >
 > > What would be really cool is if someone would implement parenthesis
 > > bouncing for Guile's readline.  :)
 > >
 > > It would also be nice to have S-expression motion commands for Guile's
 > > readline.  Am I the only one who misses them?
 > >
 > > Of course, readline doesn't have any concept like the mark, and we
 > > shouldn't worry about syntax tables...
 >

 > actually, xemacs has a run-scheme command that invokes a child scheme
 > process in a buffer.  i've not used it, but it sounds something like what
 > you describe.  it's set up for a different scheme distro, but it shouldn;t
 > be rocket science to make it use guile instead.

please find below some `run-scheme'-based commands i find useful.

still, i agree that it really would be nice to have readline be
sexp-aware -- useful for all sorts of things (not just guile).

thi

--------------------
;;; ID: run-guile.el,v 1.12 1998/10/08 09:02:11 ttn Rel
;;;
;;; Copyright (C) 1997, 1998 Thien-Thi Nguyen
;;; This file is part of ttn's personal elisp library, released under GNU
;;; GPL with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  See the file COPYING for details.

;;;###autoload
(defun run-like-scheme (program)
  "Run an inferior interpreter PROGRAM using `run-scheme'.
The variable `scheme-buffer' is set to the new buffer."
  (interactive "sProgram: ")
  (let ((scheme-program-name program))
    (run-scheme scheme-program-name)
    (setq scheme-buffer (rename-buffer (format "*%s*" scheme-program-name)))))

;;;###autoload
(defun run-guile ()
  "Run an inferior guile process using `run-scheme'."
  (interactive)
  (run-like-scheme "guile"))

;;;###autoload
(defun run-guile-tcltk ()
  "Run an inferior guile-tcltk process using `run-scheme'."
  (interactive)
  (run-like-scheme "guile-tcltk"))

;;;###autoload
(defun run-guile-gtk ()
  "Run an inferior guile-gtk process using `run-scheme'."
  (interactive)
  (run-like-scheme "guile-gtk"))

(provide 'run-guile)

;;; run-guile.el,v1.12 ends here