No Subject

Subject: Re: Naming modules (was: Re: getop-gnu-style.scm)
--------

klaus.schilling@home.ivm.de writes:

> For modules that are especially written for one project, or standard, this
> looks like the best solution.
>
>  Now it happens that modules arise from projects that are widely useful, lik
> in the case of M.Stachowiak's optargs, which come with scwm. It's clearly
> useful for many purposes that are by no means related to GUI managing. I use
> to put stuff like that in a path called util, thus (util optargs).

I actually agree that this would be a better place to install
optargs. If it ever makes it into a Guile release, this won't be an
issue in this specific case, but in general, I don't think
non-package-specific files that happen to ship with a package should
be installed under that package's name. guile-gtk gets this right, but
I have been too lazy. I actually distributed an old version of optargs
once with the exact module name of (util optargs).

Another interesting question is how to determine where to install the
module files that come with a package. Installing them in Guile's
$prefix might seem like a good idea at first glance,but what if Guile
is in /usr and you want to install a package, but have a policy of
only installing packages from source in /usr/local? Maybe your /usr is
even mounted read-only. This would break. So scwm installs its modules
in it's own $prefix these days. It would be nice for many packages,
especially ones intended to be used as modules from a stock Guile
interpreter, if they didn't require the user to augment
GUILE_LOAD_PATH to use them. I'm not sure what a good solution to this
problem is though.

 - Maciej