Has anyone implemented their own port types?

In order to make it possible to mix reads and writes on socket ports
(see Christian Lynbech's bug), I would like to change the way the port
functions work (see scm_ptobfuns in ports.h).  This change makes the
port functions more versatile and consistent, but it will break all
existing port implementations.  The compiler will catch the error, and
the fix is small and simple.

Has anyone out there written C code that adds new port types to Guile?
This is probably the case iff your code calls scm_newptob.

If only a very few people have used this feature, then it would be
good to fix this in 1.3.  If it's widely used, then I'll need to make
a gentler transition.