Re: Sparse matrix extension

On 02/06/2016 06:03 PM, Alexis Tantet wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Thanks for working on it. Following, some comments:
>
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Patrick Alken <alken@colorado.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>   I've been working my way through your patch. There is a new branch on
>> the git called 'sparse' with all the current changes. You've done a lot
>> of work on your patch so its taking me a while to get through all of it.
>>
>>   The main functionality of CRS is in there, along with basic stuff like
>> memcpy, transpose_memcpy, transpose. Also dgemv works (and hence also
>> the GMRES linear solver).
> Since the GMRES is already implemented, do you think it would be worth
> using the Arnoldi method to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of
> sparse non-hermitian matrices?

If you think you can make a nice implementation, go for it. We could add
it to the gsl_eigen interface.

>> I did some initial work on the fprintf/fscanf
>> for the triplet case - for the compressed matrices, I am wondering if we
>> should stick to a standard format such as Harwell-Boeing, I'm not sure
>> at the moment. We might be able to avoid this issue by making a binary
>> fwrite/fread interface which just directly writes the 3 arrays to disk.
> I agree that a standard format would be best but I am not aware of any
> dominant format.
> Is Harwell-Boeing one of them?
> It seems important to me to have both binary and formatted input/output
> (for coherence with gsl_matrix and because formatted files are more
> handy to share).
> Also, it is important to have some header indicating how many elements
> should be read
> and what is the dimension of the matrix.

I'm not aware of a standard format either, I'll try and look into this
further to come up with a good solution.

>> Things I still need to add for the CRS storage:
>>
>> 1. spmatrix_add
>> 2. spblas_dgemm
>> 3. fprintf/fscanf
>> 4. transpose - for now I'll keep it the way you coded it, but I think it
>> would be better to keep the matrix in the same storage format during a
>> transpose, ie: the user might want to pass A^T to an external solver
>> library which requires CCS and they might not expect the transpose
>> routine to change it to CRS. I did a quick search for in-place transpose
>> algorithms in CCS/CRS and they do appear to exist though I haven't had
>> time to implement it yet.
> Fine, but then I think it is important to add a separate function, say
> "transpose_switch_major",
> for which the transposition is performed by just changing the major
> (i.e. row->col or col->row)
> since this is the cheapest way to transpose while some libraries may
> work equally well with CRS or CCS.

Ok I like this idea too since it is very efficient.

>> I removed the inner/outer idx stuff from gsl_spmatrix - its not
>> necessary and also I'd like to avoid modifying the gsl_spmatrix struct
>> since any changes would break binary compatibility for the next release.
> That makes perfect sense, but then you need to test each time for the
> major to know what is the size of the pointer?

I am just making separate routines for CCS and CRS (ie: gsl_spmatrix_ccs
and gsl_spmatrix_crs to do triplet -> compressed). I think its simpler
this way.

>> Also your modification to gsl_spmatrix_set - I see what you're trying to
>> do but I think its better to add a new function:
>>
>> double *gsl_spmatrix_ptr(gsl_spmatrix *m, size_t i, size_t j)
>>
>> which returns a pointer to the data array for element (i,j), and the
>> user can then add whatever value they want (this is how its done with
>> gsl_matrix and gsl_vector). I think it should be straightforward to add
>> this function, possibly even for the compressed storage too.
> Then I would also add a compressed matrix constructor (or an option) in which
> gsl_spmatrix_ptr is used to sum duplicate entries instead of gsl_spmatrix_set.
> This possibility is offered by some other libraries such as Eigen
> and is for example useful to build matrices counting (e.g. transitions).

I'm not sure what you mean. I've added a new function gsl_spmatrix_ptr
to the git, which as far as I can tell does exactly what your
sum_duplicate flag does. It searches the matrix for an (i,j) element,
and if found returns a pointer. If not found a null pointer is returned.
This makes it easy for the user to modify A(i,j) after it has been added
to the matrix. Are you thinking of something else? Can you point me to
the Eigen routine?