This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[Bug libc/12922] getopt dumps core
- From: "eblake at redhat dot com" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: glibc-bugs at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:00:56 +0000
- Subject: [Bug libc/12922] getopt dumps core
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org/bugzilla/>
--- Comment #5 from Eric Blake <eblake at redhat dot com> 2011-07-08 16:00:53 UTC ---
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Except that your patch fails to compile with C89 compilers.
> Who cares?
Right now, gnulib and glibc getopt.c are intentionally kept in sync. This is
because _lots_ of projects use getopt.c verbatim in their projects when
compiling on non-glibc platforms. And this includes with C89 compilers.
If you truly don't care about projects that want to port getopt.c outside of
glibc, then there is a LOT of cruft that can be removed (look at all the #ifdef
_LIBC stuff at the top of the file). By keeping that portability headache, it
implies that you want to keep this file portable, and that (unfortunately)
still implies using C89 throughout the file.
Configure bugmail: http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug.