This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[Bug libc/10221] New: Please provide execvpe as a GNU extension
- From: "martinrb at google dot com" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: glibc-bugs at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 30 May 2009 19:49:14 -0000
- Subject: [Bug libc/10221] New: Please provide execvpe as a GNU extension
- Reply-to: sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org
The Unix standards do not provide an execvpe,
which is obvious "missing" functionality.
Java's subprocess implementation is one example of
software projects implementing their own execvpe.
For glibc, the implementation seems particularly easy
- copy posix/execvp.c to posix/execvpe.c, replacing references to
__environ with a reference to a user-provided envp.
It is hard for users to implement execvpe completely faithfully themselves,
because it is not so easy to find the default value of PATH,
or the right shell to use to run scripts in case of ENOEXEC,
in accordance with the standard practice on the platform.
If agreed, I would be willing to help work on implementation,
although I am not a glibc hacker.
Hopefully, execvpe would be added to a future revision of the Unix standards.
Summary: Please provide execvpe as a GNU extension
AssignedTo: drepper at redhat dot com
ReportedBy: martinrb at google dot com
CC: glibc-bugs at sources dot redhat dot com
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.