This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[Bug localedata/9859] New fr_FR locale month abbrevs are not fixed length
- From: "aurelien at aurel32 dot net" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: glibc-bugs at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 17 Feb 2009 22:21:33 -0000
- Subject: [Bug localedata/9859] New fr_FR locale month abbrevs are not fixed length
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org
------- Additional Comments From aurelien at aurel32 dot net 2009-02-17 22:21 -------
> /bin/ls -l uses the format ISO on my computer (it's a fixed length)
> drwx------ 2 stephane stephane 4096 2008-12-09 08:40 work
> Do you use an alias?
No. I am the same output as you with an old coreutils version. With a recent one
(>= 6.0), I get:
drwxr-xr-x 12 aurel32 aurel32 4096 mai 26 2008 audio
-rwxr-xr-x 1 aurel32 aurel32 4096 janv. 30 12:29 photos
drwxr-xr-x 2 aurel32 aurel32 4096 dÃ©c. 21 20:46 work
> The choice to use variable length for has been discussed to avoid any drawbacks
> and the main constraint is to use short words when space is tight. Some other
> languages use longer abmon than 3 characters.
> This has been made to be fix sprintf %b in graphical application like the GTK+
> calendar (users were puzzled about 'jui', 'juin' or 'juillet'?) and to conform
> to the official French abbreviations.
The problem is not the length of the abbreviation, it's important to be able to
see the difference between 'juin' and 'juillet'. But variable lenght is really
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.