Re: getenv always return NULL in GDB/DDD

On 2018-10-26 05:35, Luo, Ginger wrote:
Hello, GDB experts

I try to call getenv in my C code, this can return correct env string
in terminal, while it returns NULL in GDB/DDD.

#include <stdlib.h>

#include <string.h>

#include <stdio.h>

void main() {
  char * a = getenv("ANCHOR"); // ANCHOR exists in the terminal
  if (strlen(a)>0)
    printf("%s\n", a);
}

The GDB/DDD is started from the same terminal. Even I "show
environment", this env exists.

Anyone any idea?

OS/Tools version info: RHEL Linux hostname1 2.6.32-754.3.5.el6.x86_64
#1 SMP Thu Aug 9 11:56:22 EDT 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.12

gcc (GCC) 6.3.0
SHELL is tcsh, DDD/GDB is using default settings.

Let me know if you need any further info.

I don't see off-hand why this would happen. One thing to try would be "set startup-with-shell off". If, for some reason, your shell (through which the debugged program is ran) messes up with the environment, this would bypass it entirely.

Otherwise, as usual, I would recommend trying the latest version of GDB. I don't have anything specific in mind that changed recently, but it's good to try.

Simon