Re: Large memory usage by gdb

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 17:11 -0500, Alex Lindsay wrote:
> Philippe,
>
> Is memcheck a better tool to use here compared to massif?
In valgrind 3.13, memcheck provides a quite detailed/precise
way to see delta memory increase/decrease.
Typically, you will give --xtree-memory=full argument,
and then e.g. use vgdb to launch a (delta) leak search
after each run.
You can then use kcachegrind to visualise the resulting
memory increase.

Massif is IMO less precise, but automatically produces
memory status at regular interval.

So, in summary, I would use valgrind 3.13 and memcheck
(with an additional benefit that if ever your use case
causes real memory leaks, memcheck will detect them).

Philippe