RE: C++ conversion status update

> > (Another thought that crossed my mind before is to switch the
> > numbering scheme to follow something like gcc's.  That is, make
> > the minor number be the major number going forward, as
> > the minor number actually counts new-feature releases, while
> > the major number is arbitrary.)
>
> Definitely a possibility. Let's discuss that separately at some point!

I'm not sure if this was ever brought up before, but version numbers
don't have much meaning to users.  What is GDB 7.5?  Is that an old
version?  Is that the latest?
Using a date scheme would be better, a la Ubuntu. When a user
see 16.04 they know they have the latest-and-greatest.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/whats-in-a-version-number-anyway/

Just a thought.

Marc