Re: Fwd: Can GDB interact with serial ports on remote targets?

Hi Luis, thanks for your response.

Hmm, yes I now realise I was remotely aware of semihosting.
Unfortunately my project is running on bare-metal (no OS, no u-boot or
UEFI or anything) so I don't think semihosting is quite appropriate.
As I understand it, typical use of semihosting goes like this:

You're debugging an application on a remote target, and that target
has an OS, and that OS has support for semihosting. The application
issues a "read" system call, and the OS handles it by issuing a
semihosting debug call (as opposed to actually reading the file or
UART or whatever).

That is to say, the system under debug needs to be modified to support
semihosting, which I'd really like to avoid doing in my case. Please
correct me if my understanding of semihosting is wrong.

Otherwise, are there any other options?

Thanks again for your help,
Brendan