Re: integrating dtc into the sim/ tree

On 8/20/2014 11:19 AM, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> I would have been happy if the generated files were in the tree and
>> only maintainer mode would result in the dependencies being checked.
>>
>> This has precedence for other tools.
> Is it just generated files? I was under the impression that you had
> to link against a library as well. If that wasn't the case, then it
> would certainly mitigate most of my concerns!

Inspecting the Makefile.in, I believe that is the case. This is all
there is:

moxie-gdb.dtb: moxie-gdb.dts
    dtc -O dtb -o moxie-gdb.dtb ${srcdir}/moxie-gdb.dts

install-dtb: moxie-gdb.dtb
    $(SHELL) $(srcdir)/../../mkinstalldirs $(DESTDIR)$(dtbdir)
    $(INSTALL_DATA) moxie-gdb.dtb $(DESTDIR)$(dtbdir)/moxie-gdb.dtb

No reference to libraries. I checked the generated moxie-gdb.dtb and it
shows this:

$ file moxie-gdb.dtb
moxie-gdb.dtb: Device Tree Blob version 17, size=519, boot CPU=0, string
block size=75, DT structure block size=388

I am nearly 100% sure this could be a maintainer only option.

FWIW we have been looking into using dtc with RTEMS. It is a nice
way to abstract away the particulars of a SoC and let the BSP/drivers
find their properties from a configuration file/blob during initialization.
But I don't know how this package is distributed.