This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Debugging issue with gdbserver and a daemon on the target
- From: Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde dot org>
- To: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:25:29 +0100
- Subject: Re: Debugging issue with gdbserver and a daemon on the target
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAOMwXhPxtfv7f=akjpuTh+HNCGDeEm0vxen1Kp3pPco++gvuLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <53F3743F dot 3000106 at redhat dot com> <CAOMwXhMmyXmHi9gZADtkTYb9mbF2hZRv2vHPC5AEcNWkE9duBg at mail dot gmail dot com> <53F3776D dot 2010705 at redhat dot com> <CAOMwXhOQkPH-6By+C0zcu3RAQMhWypC18ZsFrLK+ncdAcq3b0Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <53F4598D dot 8020208 at redhat dot com>
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Pedro Alves <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 08/19/2014 07:01 PM, Laszlo Papp wrote:
>> Hmm, it seems that the stripped binary on the target and the one on
>> the host were out-of-sync. This is really strange since I have not
>> changed the source code. Seems different compilations still can get
>> out-of-sync for the same code so that when I rebuild the same source
>> code, I always need to update the binary on the target, too?
> Ideally, if you used the exact same inputs, and the exact same tools,
> and the same exact same tool options, the output is the same. You
> can check that with md5sum, or some such.
Thanks. I will check that next time.
>> Anyway, now I only have problems with finding the sources file to view
>> them in cgdb. I do not know why it is wrong, but it seems to be. As
>> you can see the paths are set up for dwarf correctly:
>> ... yet, gdb says src/bar.c cannot be found even though it should be
>> in the aforementioned
>> path, provided my sysroot setting is good above, but if that was not
>> good, it would not load the binaries anyway, right?
>> So, if I set that
>> path one line above with the "-d" option to gdb, then the source file
>> can be viewed. What may be going on here?
> That sounds like the expected behavior, as the source directory knobs
> are independent from the sysroot setting. See:
Heh, coincidentally I started my day with reading that before, but
thanks. At least, it is a confirmation that I am on the right track.
>> Thanks in advance. I am so desperately lost. :(
> I think I'm lost on which part you are lost. :-)
Well, I am not sure why it does not work. Yocto generates the images
for me, but that is not important here as long as the dwarf
information looks correct after its operation in the provided readelf
output. So, provided that the dwarf information looks correct, and the
files are there, I am not sure why gdb cannot find src/bar.c in
.../git/meh (path above). I will check "show directories" what gdb
sees in my case, but if that does not help, I am not sure how to make
it work. Got a clue?