This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: git clone through http
- From: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche at elastic dot org>
- To: Simon Marchi <simon dot marchi at ericsson dot com>
- Cc: Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail dot com>, gdb at sourceware dot org, overseers at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:50:45 -0400
- Subject: Re: git clone through http
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <53876894 dot 5020103 at ericsson dot com> <87ha48dp55 dot fsf at naesten dot mooo dot com> <538897D1 dot 1070602 at ericsson dot com>
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:38:09AM -0400, Simon Marchi wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> $ git clone http://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git
> >> Cloning into 'binutils-gdb'...
> >> error: Unable to get pack index
FWIW, it's working for me, just very slowly (as is normal for
dumb-http: transport), and possibly made worse by httpd/firewall
load-limiting in effect.
> > 1. Rename/copy the file "hooks/post-update.sample" in the repository
> > to "hooks/post-update" to allow use of the "dumb" git protocol.
This is already done.
> > 2. Somehow set up a "smart" web-based git server. [...]
> > Choice 2 is clearly more complicated and more httpd-specific, but also
> > more efficient in most cases.
We'll consider it, though an even easier thing we could do is stop
promoting the http:// git URL.
> > --
> > Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
(Wow, I haven't seen that in 20+ years!)