Re: GDB/MI async output token field

On 05/29/2014 06:49 AM, Bob Rossi wrote:
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:55:49AM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:16:05AM +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote:
On 05/23/2014 05:14 AM, Bob Rossi wrote:
On this page,
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/GDB_002fMI-Output-Syntax.html#GDB_002fMI-Output-Syntax

The documentation says,
  Note that for all async output, while the token is allowed by the
  grammar and may be output by future versions of gdb for select async
  output messages, it is generally omitted.

  Frontends should treat all async output as reporting general changes in
  the state of the target and there should be no need to associate async
  output to any prior command.

I searched through the GDB source code and can't find a single place
where this occurs.

such clarification will be good.

2008-04-24  Vladimir Prus  <vladimir@codesourcery.com>

         * gdb.texinfo (GDB/MI Output Syntax): Clarify that async
          output does not necessary include any tokens.

That looked a little suspicous. That is, perhaps there are cases were
the token is in the async output?

Perhaps I was unclear. I have a patch that removes the [token] syntax
from the GDB manual regarding async output.

I found your commit message that added a note that stated async
output does not necessarily include tokens.

The note made me think that at the time, you knew of at least one case
where async output would include the token (or you would have removed
the token syntax from the async output instead of saying that the token
might not be included).

Can you (or anyone) recall a case where GDB would output a token with an
async record?

I don't want to post a patch that removes the token syntax from the gdb
manual if indeed someone will run into it in the wild. That makes the
situation worse, not better.

The ChangeLog entry is useless, as usual. Here are relevant emails:

	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2008-03/msg00239.html
	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-04/msg00202.html

The was single case where token was included in async output, and I removed
that. I don't believe any new cases were added, and nobody was upset in
all that time, so adjusting documentation to say that async output
never includes any tokens seems reasonable to me.

- Volodya