This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
overlay debugging question
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 08:08:54 -0700
- Subject: overlay debugging question
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with debugging overlays?
The GDB manual gives a brief introduction about it, but during our
own attempts, we have noticed that the addresses in the debugging
info still reference VMAs rather than LMAs, making those addresses
ambiguous. For operations such as computing the backtrace, for
instance, we think this can cause GDB to pick the wrong entry,
leading to a backtrace failure. Also, it looks like, at first sight,
that GDB is doing the searching using the VMA as well. So we don't
really understand how, in theory, things are supposed to work.