Re: git is live

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody.  Git is now live and the master repository for binutils
> and gdb.
>

> Maybe I made some enormous mistake!  While I'd prefer to be finished
> with this project, if there is a mistake, please be reassured that we
> have not taken any truly irreversible action.  CVS commits are disabled,
> but all the data is still there.
>
> I hope you feel reassured now.
>

> Pedro pointed out today that the history of the existing repository is
> weird around the point at which the src repository is stitched onto the
> older devo repository.  "Weird" here means that there are some commits
> that delete nearly everything, only to have it all restored a commit or
> two later.  I spent some time trying to fix this; but in fact, far too
> much time, and in the end I decided that we will just have to live with
> it.
>

> It was pointed out to me on irc that not everybody has already used git.
> I'm reliably informed that this is a good git book, and it is available
> online:
>
>     http://git-scm.com/book
>
> I'm sure there are others as well.
>
> A couple of small hints.  You will want to set your username and email
> address in your git config before pushing your first commit.  I'm sure
> the book explains this early on.
>
> I've set things up to reject "non-fast-forward" merge commits to master.
> What this means is that if you commit something and try to push, and
> then it fails, you will want to "git pull --rebase", or use "git rebase
> -i", before trying again.  This is basically analogous to "cvs
> update"ing before trying to commit again.
>

> I named the new repository "binutils-gdb".  First, sorry to all who
> backed "src".  I was swayed by the hue and cry to choose a URL whose
> importance is undeniable despite the second argument to git clone.
> Second, gdbers, I chose the name alphabetically.
>
> The URLs:
>
>     git://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git
>     ssh://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git
>
> I believe only the latter form allows pushing.
>

> Please report any problems to me or to the list.  I'll be around fixing
> any problems.  You can also join us on #gdb and ask git questions if you
> like.
>
> I still have a few final tasks to do for the transition, but nothing too
> pressing.  E.g., I will check in my changes to the gdbadmin scripts
> soon, when I'm readier to debug them; but meanwhile they will pull from
> CVS without harm.
>
> Tom

I can't push my branch:

# git push origin hjl/pr12639:hjl/pr12639
Counting objects: 12, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.23 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 7 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: fatal: Invalid revision range
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..6346639c66e5244e588d341f8f96c817cdf03741
remote: fatal: Invalid revision range
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..6346639c66e5244e588d341f8f96c817cdf03741
remote: dirname: missing operand
remote: Try `dirname --help' for more information.
To ssh://hjl@sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git
 * [new branch]      hjl/pr12639 -> hjl/pr12639

--
H.J.