proper usage of "-exec-interrupt"

Hi,
I'm writing a GDB plugin for an IDE and I'm using async target in MI mode
to allow user to alter breakpoints while debugging.
As I learned I have to use "-exec-interrupt" command to stop a debugger but
when I'm doing so a process that spawns GDB, i.e. an IDE receives SIGINT and exits accordingly.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to intercept a signal in IDE as it's written with GTK and signal functions do not work for some reason.
The other way I've found is to send SIGINT directly to a GDB process and it worked for me but
recently another developer reported that he has problem with finishing the whole X session when trying to interrupt GDB in this way, looks like SIGINT reached X session manager...

Whay does this signal come to parent process and can I avoid this somehow?

Thanks, Alexander