Re: [gdb-7.0] One week to the gdb-7.0 release!

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:

> I assume 10.5.8 and Snow Leopard share the same problem. I used to
> see the error...

Quite possible. I don't have Snow Leopard, so I don't know what happens
there.

> Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 39624: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
>   (please check gdb is setgid procmod)

Yes, that is exactly the error I see on Leopard (unless I run gdb as root).

> Now in gdb trunk, with the proposed darwin patch, I don't even get that
> far. When passing an executable to gdb, it complains that the binary isn't
> a valid executable. Is that what you are seeing under 10.5.8?

I don't normally do any development on MacOS -- I only got dragged into it
because my patch broke it :-(

I have not tested the latest trunk, nor 7.0 branch, after I've "fixed"
the find_pc_section breakage. I will try trunk tonight, just to confirm that
I can replicate what you see (and maybe fix it if I manage to understand
what's happening).

> ps Actually I would have thought this issue requiring signing of gdb
> would have been coupled more to a new Xcode release than to a new
> Mac OS X release.

Why would you think that?

The kernel denies GDB access to debug port; I don't see what this would
have to do with Xcode.

Cheers,
--
Paul Pluzhnikov