Re: powerpc port question

Mark Kettenis wrote:
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 20:26:34 +0200
From: Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>

My attempt bases on gdb-6.6 source, GPL-2 based. The structure of the source is more or less equal as the NetBSD port for powerpc.

In general you want to look at the OpenBSD support instead of NetBSD. It's in a much better shape ;).

I was not sure about the state of the different ports. So I just picked one :) I'll have a look at. Thanks!

I digged through the source and I do not get the point.

In my _initialize_ppcfbsd_tdep I call

gdbarch_register_osabi(bfd_arch_powerpc, bfd_mach_ppc,
			  GDB_OSABI_FREEBSD_ELF,
			  ppcfbsd_init_abi);

You'll need to add something like:

  gdbarch_register_osabi (bfd_arch_rs6000, 0, GDB_OSABI_FREEBSD_ELF,
                          ppcfbsd_init_abi);
  gdbarch_register_osabi (bfd_arch_powerpc, 0, GDB_OSABI_FREEBSD_ELF,
                          ppcfbsd_init_abi);

(both lines seem to be necessary given the way BFD makes a distinction
between rs6000 and powerpc, but ELF doesn't).

Great, Thanks! This avoids the startup warning.

But now I hunt for this:
with my built gdb 'show endian' shows this:

(gdb) show endian
The target is assumed to be big endian

On my linuxppc machine I see this:

(gdb) show endian
The target endianness is set automatically (currently big endian)

The reason I'm not satisfied is, that inside the testsuite it looks exactly for the automatically set endianness string. (altivec tests).

I still wonder what my port lacks to spit out the same message as powerpc linux does?

TIA,
Andreas