Re: Core dump information when code is optimized

Lennyk wrote:
Hi,

When I compile only with -O1 flag - my core dump information does not show line number or offset (when a segmentation fault has occurred).
Only when I add the -g flag does the core dump contain line number information - but the executable's size grows significantly!

Is there a way to get this information with core dump - but maintain the optimized sized executable?

It is -g that matters, not -O.

-g generates line info.  This info goes into your executable, but it
does not increase your memory footprint -- only the size of the file.
In other words this line info is not copied into memory at runtime.

Which means that it also does not appear in the corefile, so your
corefile should not get significantly bigger.