Re: Skipping over trampolines/stubs

On 01 Apr 2009, at 21:14, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:08:11PM +0200, Jonas Maebe wrote:

GDB already supports this for other languages; I suggest just adding
detection of the Free Pascal stubs to the debugger.  ObjC and C++
both have similar requirements, I believe.  In C++ they're virtual
call thunks.

Thanks. Given that tracing some of these stubs requires access to the parameters, I should start with adding support for the Borland fastcall calling convention to gdb. The reason is that this is our default calling convention on i386 platforms, mainly for Delphi compatibility reasons (quite a bit of unparametrised assembler code there).

Which brings me to the next point: how does one go about "allocating" a new DW_AT_calling_convention value in the DW_CC_lo_user .. DW_CC_hi_user range? At first sight, there is only one such value currently in public use (DW_CC_GNU_renesas_sh). Can I just take 0x41 for DW_CC_BORLAND_fastcall_i386? And should I then submit this constant for inclusion in binutils first?

Jonas