This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Beginner question regarding gdb symbol files
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: luca regini <luca dot regini at gmail dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:47:25 -0500
- Subject: Re: Beginner question regarding gdb symbol files
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:43:58PM +0100, luca regini wrote:
> I have a project that is organized like the Makefile that follows. I
> have an executable that links two shared objects. I separate debug
> symbols from shared libraries and executable files. I would like to
> debug the stripped executable using the stripped symbols. Sadly i am
> not able to view any debug information. I tryed to use both the
> symbol-file and add-symbol-file to read the stripped symbols.
> Any help is very appreciated.
If you use --only-keep-debug, also use objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink to
create the final executable. GDB needs that pointer from your program
to the debug file.