This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: gdbserver tracepoint support (from Project Ideas page)
- From: Michael Snyder <msnyder at specifix dot com>
- To: Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:00:43 -0800
- Subject: Re: gdbserver tracepoint support (from Project Ideas page)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 15:24 -0800, Doug Evans wrote:
> Hi. The wiki Project Ideas page has this for gdbserver:
> * Gdbserver doesn't support tracepoints. A few people have said
> they would work on this, but no patches for it have ever been
> submitted to the mailing list. This could be a nice introductory
> project for someone interested in remote debugging.
> Can anyone give me an idea of what they think this involves, and if
> any work has been done on this since the wiki entry was written?
What work it involves --
1) First gdbserver must understand the extra set of
tracepoint remote protocol commands (or a subset of them:
tracepoint support is very subset-able). I'm sure these
commands are documented somewhere...
2) Then gdbserver has to know how to implement a tracepoint,
ie. to stop the child, quickly collect a well defined set of
data into a cache, then continue the child without any
interaction with gdb.
AFAIK no one has worked on it in a while.