Re: Variable objects and STL containers

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 14:31:07 Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > From: Vladimir Prus <ghost@cs.msu.su>
> > Date:  Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:16:53 +0300
> >
> > Technically, there is formal interface, called iterators, provided by the
> > C++ standard. I don't have the slightest confidence in gdb not falling over
> > if you try to use them, though.
>
> That means that you actually have to call functions in the inferior,
> which might modify state you don't want to modify.

In theory, all called functions are supposed to be const member functions,
so should not modify anything. In practice, they might still touch some
memory (if that does not modify logical state of the object), and if
we're trying to calling functions on non-yet-initialized object,
that might corrupt things.

(And IIUC, gcc still won't tell us when a C++ object is initialized).

> And of course it
> doesn't work at all for core dumps.

Yes.

> > We discussed using Python scripting for that; in fact, I have a patch locally
> > that will make
> >
> >         -var-evaluate-expression V
> >
> > for a vector print something like:
> >
> >         [1,2,3]
> >
> > I'm working on making those element the children of the variable object,
> > but it's not done yet.
>
> Still this means that you'll need to write python code for each and
> every STL implementation, and play catchup whenever the implementation
> is changed.

In case of std::vector in GCC, I doubt many changes are coming.

> I guess the only way to get this to work is to connvince
> the GCC people to maintain the python code together with libstdc++.

Of course that would be ideal. However, libstdc++ is not the only
standard library, and anyway -- having the mechanism is more important
that who gets to write python code.

- Volodya