RE: Debugging a Vlc dll with GDB.

On 06 December 2007 17:38, personel personel wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am currently using GDB v.6.5.50.20060706. One of my
> colleague built an application (VLCTest.exe) by using
> Visual Studio C++ 6.0

> It tried to put a breakpoint into VLCTest.exe but it
> did not work:
>
> gdb -silent -e VLCTest.exe -s VLCTest.exe == "no
> debugging symbols found"

> Can you suggest me a method?

  GDB (and binutils in general) doesn't speak the language used by MSVC's
debugging info (CodeView format; binutils uses STABS on windows).  Off the top
of my head, your options are:

1.  Use mingw+gcc to compile instead of MSVC, so that you get debug info
suitable for gdb.
2.  Use Microsoft's debugger that's built into MSVC, or their standalone
debugger "WinDbg".
3.  Use gdb, and deal with the lack of symbols by using "dumpbin /symbols" to
get a list of all the symbols and keep it handy in notepad while you're using
gdb, looking up the address that corresponds to a symbol whenever you want to
set a breakpoint and entering it into gdb in hex.

    cheers,
      DaveK