Re: basic gdb usage question

> From: Matt Funk <matze999@gmx.net>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:08:34 -0600
>
> I am just starting to use gdb and so have a lot to learn.

Welcome!

> So i want to set the breakpoint in file A at line M under condition X.
> However, another condition that needs to be met before breaking is in file B
> with condition Y.
>
> condition X: the value of a local variable is (say) 2.
> condition Y: the value of a variable is (say) 3.
>
> Is this possible to set multiple conditions for one breakpoint?

A condition could be complex: var1 == 2 && var2 == 3.  Would that do
the job?

> I thought
> about setting two breakpoints but that would not do what i need it to do.

Why not?  You could set the second breakpoint from the commands
defined for the first breakpoint.  Would this do what you want?

> Along the same lines, is it then possible to create a condition that
> references a variable outside the local scope?

AFAIK, only if it has global scope in its file.  You can use the
FILE:VARIABLE syntax.

Btw, I'd be eager to know which ones of the answers above cannot be
found in the user's manual.  That will help us improve the docs.