Re: BUG: MI reporting wrong attributes for casted variables

Daniel Jacobowitz writes:
 > On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:17:39AM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:
 > > Report it as a bug to the Eclipse CDT team.  They have misinterpreted the
 > > meaning of the "editable" attribute.
 > >
 > > This has been reported at leasted once before, possibly by you (or at least
 > > another Sascha using Eclipse CDT) when I said:
 >
 > And also by Vladimir, two years ago.  What is the use of the current
 > "editable" attribute?  I don't see anything in the manual that would
 > conflict with changing it.

Actually looking at the manual, rather than the code, it looks like this
might have been the intended meaning:

  The `-var-assign' Command
  -------------------------

  Synopsis

        -var-assign NAME EXPRESSION

     Assigns the value of EXPRESSION to the variable object specified by
  NAME.  The object must be `editable'.  If the variable's value is
                             ^^^^^^^^
  altered by the assign, the variable will show up in any subsequent
  `-var-update' list.

So if you mean add this case to the existing ones, that seems reasonable.
It would make redisplay faster if this field was added to the output
of -var-create and -var-list-children.  This is probably especially
important for remote targets.

Incidentally, I find it strange that GDB can assign values to constant types:

const i21 = 5;

-var-create - * i21
^done,name="var1",numchild="0",value="5",type="const int"
(gdb)
-var-assign var1 9
^done,value="9"
(gdb)