Problems with startup code symbols (Copious warnings)

Hi,

For ever and a day with GDB i've gotten the following warnings:

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x00 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

I get it a lot.  I even patch GDB so it doesn't generate this warning,
its so annoying.

0x00 happens to be my programs entry point (its an embedded system).
And is in Assembler code.

I've never liked patching GDB to get rid of this warning, so I invested
some time on it and I've just discovered 2 ways to make it go away:

1. If I compile my code with stabs+ debug info, I don't get the
warning.  I would prefer to use Dwarf-2 however, as it seems to be the
way of the future.

2. If I add:

.section .debug_info,"",@progbits as the first directive in my asm file,
the warning also goes away.  But so does the code when I view it under GDB.

Does anyone know any special incantation I need to make in my ASM file,
to get rid of the warning, but still retain the symbolic information so
I can see the code and symbols under GDB?

The file is a ".S" file, it is assembler but i build it with GCC.  The
CPU is a PowerPC, Motorola MPC862.

Thanks,
Steven J