Re: printing wchar_t*

Vladimir Prus wrote:
On Friday 14 April 2006 16:55, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Vladimir Prus <ghost@cs.msu.su>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:46:57 +0400
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com

No, I meant UTF-16 encoding (the one with surrogate pairs), and UTF-32
encoding (which does exists, in the Unicode standard).
What software uses that?

I'd say, any software using std::wstring on Linux.

Anyway, UTF-16 is a variable-length encoding, so wchar_t is not it.

Since C++ standard says nothing about encoding of wchar_t, specific application can do anything it likes. In particular, I believe that on Windows, wchar_t* is assumed to be in UTF-16 encoding.

It only makes sense to talk about UTF-16 encoding in the context of wchar_t if wchar_t is 16-bits, otherwise, as noted above, UTF-32 is a variable length encoding, not suitable for wchar_t.