Re: MI: changing breakpoint location

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:42:46PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:23:09PM -0800, David Daney wrote:
> > > I can't see why you would want to do it anyplace *other* than the
> > > editor.  It would know for sure which lines had been added and deleted.
> > >  Anything else would just be guessing.
> >
> > Well, in the CLI GDB, we don't have any interaction with the editor.
>
> But we can ask the CLI users to type the line difference, can we?  I
> don't expect this command to be used too frequently from the command
> line, so it doesn't seem to harsh a limitation.

Would that be useful?

Here's how I envision this command being useful: the context-sensitive
analysis I described earlier.  Heuristics (i.e. guesses) as to what's
happened to the file, while GDB's back was turned.  The user's rarely
going to know "oh, that breakpoint moved twenty lines".

The alternative command, "oh, that breakpoint should be over here now",
is a lot simpler for a CLI user to use.  Maybe it's still useful?  I
didn't think so originally, but I'm being persuaded.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery