RE: MI error msgs and localization

> For instance, a cleanup must be done to make sure all errors are still
> reported through MI in English ? including the more exceptional ones
> (especially during startup). For instance, I am actively interpreting raw
> console-stream output for the following strings:
>
> No debugging symbols found
> Unable to attach to process
> No such process
> No symbol table is loaded
> No such file
> gdb: unrecognized option
> An internal GDB error was detected.
> Thread x has terminated.
> No executable file specified
> No executable specified, use?

These messages appear to be part of the CLI output intended for the user and
not MI. It seems natural to translate them.

I really don't agree at all. Very few output in MI mode is/should be intended for users only. You have got get past the stage where you think of the front-end as a "dumb automated shell" and into thinking "integrated environment with user friendly error messages". Preferrably these messages should have been streamed out as a MI result-records.

I translate "No symbol table loaded..." into asking the user to switch to debug-mode in my tool. "Unrecognized option" pop ups that the GDB version is too old, reinstall needed. "Thread x has terminated" refreshed the thread list etc etc etc. No user behind a front-end will understand "No such process." or "No executable file specified" by itself when the cause of this is some magic done by the controlling front-end.

Patches are welcome for any further MI commands that you would like to see implemented.

As stated in the manual, MI is still evolving.  The best way to make it do
the things you want is to participate in its development.

Unfortunately I see this reply too often here. The number of MI questions are steadily increasing in this maillist. I believe that the MI interface will be the dominant way of using GDB in the future since more people will realise that there finally is a not-so-arcane way to interface with it and thus integration into the various editor tools becomes wide-spread. So it's sad to see the same basic functions with "N/A" in the documentation still.

I would love to participate but I'm primarily a Windows developer and tries to focus on UI in my spare time and ancient C programs/style just scares me. I really appreciate the work that has been done, just hope that GDB team will keep focus on making MI integration a primarily target so the tool is not just accessible for geeky developers that fathoms 2-letter shortcut commands, but also to mainstream developers using high-level development tools.

Sorry, just a litte frustrated that MI doesn't seem to move forward. I do really appreciate the work that has been done on GDB already.

regards, bjarke viksoe
GMail Drive - http://www.viksoe.dk/gmail/