Re: Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:09:49 +0530
> From: Saravanan <pes@india.hp.com>
> > 1. Why does GDB not provide this support for local
> host ?

Simple: because no one wrote tracepoints support for native debugging.

Right -- please contribute support for native tracepoints!

Just don't take Jim's request at face value :-)

To get tracepoint support into GDB both new code and the refinement of old code will be needed. Doing this means helping improve mainline GDB and, to do that, an assignment will be needed (form sent).

The thing to keep in mind is that GDB's development model is one of constant incremental change - fix a structure here, move a method there, oops just accidently fixed a 15 year old bug of not being able to return small structs, ...

At a more technical level, over comming months I hope to be tweaking GDB's target vector. While the work doesn't directly relate to tracepoints, it will definitly help with a trace point implementation.

so, I guess you'll need to speak with HP lawyers :-)
Andrew