This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: stabs and macro information
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>
- To: David Taylor <dtaylor at emc dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:27:04 -0400
- Subject: Re: stabs and macro information
- References: <200304161558.h3GFwJV09359@mailhub.lss.emc.com>
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:58:19AM -0400, David Taylor wrote:
> Currently, when invoked with -gdwarf-2 -g3, gcc will record macro
> information in a .debug_macinfo elf section. And when presented with
> an executable containing macro information in a .debug_macinfo
> section, gdb will make use of it.
> Many companies, including EMC, still use stabs. So... it would be
> nice if the same was true of stabs.
A more interesting question, to me, is why EMC still needs to use
stabs. They are an inferior debug format, extremely hard to parse or
extend. GCC's and GDB's current implementations of DWARF-2 (and 3) are
somewhat lacking, but it's all fixable.
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer