Re: [maint] The GDB maintenance process

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:54:50 -0500, Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at redhat dot com> said:

> One thing GCC(4) and GDB are now is encouraging exprementation on
> branches development to always occure on branches cut from the the
> relevant repository.

Would Red Hat be happy hosting significant branches for other
companies?  Would those other companies be happy depending on Red
Hat's CVS servers?  (Maybe a reasonable answer here is "yes, but money
should change hands".)  It might be nice if GDB were using a source
code management tool that didn't depend on having a single repository,
making it easier for people to maintain public branches elsewhere but
to still sync them with an official branch.

Anyways, I'd been planning for a while to write up some documentation
about creating branches; I'll try to do that sooner than later.  I was
somewhat resistant to the idea myself, but in retrospect it was
unquestionably the right way to go for my project.

David Carlton
carlton at math dot stanford dot edu