Re: GDB/MI & CLI commands

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:33:56PM -0800, Keith Seitz wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 07:10, Bob Rossi wrote:
> > However, I would like to confirm that GDB/MI is supposed to
> > accept CLI commands.
>
> It does for now, but this behavior is only temporary. It was used as a
> stop-gap for commands that are not yet implemented (from mi-main.c):
>
>     case CLI_COMMAND:
>       /* A CLI command was read from the input stream */
>       /* This will be removed as soon as we have a complete set of
>          mi commands */
>
> Note that CLI commands read in via MI (not via -interpreter-exec) will
> have MI output semantics.
>
> Keith

Keith,
Please excuse my ignorance.

When GDB is started like this './gdb --interpreter=mi <program>',
the mi interface is given.

I understand that the client can then communicate with gdb by
issuing mi commands and getting back mi responses.

I would like to know if in the official release of mi ( when its basically
complete ) will accept CLI commands from the client and give back mi

This is important to me since I plan on implementing a console for the
user to issue CLI commands.

What is the difference between MI and -interpreter-exec?

Thanks for your patience,
Bobby