Re: obsoleting the annotate level 2 interface

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> I don't think that is sufficient - making something deprecated
> only tells the user that they should not use it in new
> development.  Not that they must rewrite existing code to not
> use it.  To do that we'd have to  obsolete it.  (Asside, this is
> the same as for code - deprecating a  function only stops it
> being used in new code.)

> I think something needs to be done to the next release that `rubs
> the  users nose in it'.

> Andrew

I would like to reiterate the points that many have made thus far.

Existing applications depend on annotate level 1 (ddd, gvd, ...) and
level 2 (emacs, cgdb).  Until the MI interface is complete (supports
CLI and GDB user output) and all existing applications have made
the switch to using the MI, the annotations cannot be removed.
My current understanding is that GDB/MI is not a completely viable
alternative for these GDB interfaces to use to replace annotate 1 or
2.  Therefore, the annotations -- while being deprecated -- must be
retained in future releases until the GDB/MI is capable of
supporting these applications.

Mike

(CGDB developer -- http://cgdb.sourceforge.net)