Re: Upcoming DWARF 3 and FORTRAN95 patches for 5.1.1 or 5.2?

Hi,

The DWARF3 stuff which I plan to release soonist is the run-time
evaluation of DWARF3 DW_OP_* codes. In particular
DW_OP_push_object_address with DW_OP_* logical operators PLUS all the
existing DW_OP* functionality.

Basically the current implementation attaches DWARF info to struct type,
which gets evaluated at runtime when dealing with:

DW_AT_associated
DW_AT_allocated
DW_AT_data_location
DW_AT_stride
DW_AT_lower_bound
DW_AT_upper_bound
(some others may follow)

Most of this work is to support FORTRAN95 stuff, but should help other
languages that generate dynamic arrays with variable boundaries.

As I stated before, the current implementation just attaches the DWARF
data block to the struct type for simplicity. I guess there could be
some kind of internal representation of the functionality as well, but
some of the DW_OP_* sequences are pretty hairy so attaching the DWARF
data block and interpreting it on the fly seems OK to me.

It also highlights an overkill in the current GDB dwarf code which will
end up with three different stack/parsers/decoders of DW_OP_*
(dwarf2read.c:decode_locdesc, dwarf2cfi.c:execute_stack_op and my dwarf3
routine.) Granted there is different functionality for each so maybe
they should be kept separate.

Petr
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:06:11PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > > Nothing's going to make 5.1.1.  It's far too late; it'll be released in
> > > a week, if I understood Andrew correctly.
> > >
> > > Can you be more specific - what parts of DWARF3?  I've been working on
> > > the dwarf2 reader in my spare time, and I'm willing to bet you'll
> > > clobber all of those patches, so it would be nice if you fixed what I
> > > was working on :P
> >
> > I would imagine, based on reading some stuff on Intel's web site (that
> > said they were having caldera modify gdb for them to support their
> > compiler's debug output), that  he's adding the pieces needed to support
> > Intel's C++ Compiler for Linux.
> >
> > I have a list of what that outputs that gdb doesn't currently supports
> > somewhere, but it might be easier for you to just look yourself, as it
> > would take me a while to find it.
>
> If you have a chance to find it, I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise I'll
> wait for Petr; I'm swamped.
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz                           Carnegie Mellon University
> MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

Petr Sorfa                  Senior Software Engineer
Caldera
430 Mountain Ave.           http://www.caldera.com
Murray Hill 07974
NJ, USA
Disclaimer: All my comments are my own and nobody else's