remote stdio

Hi, all.

I have a remote stub working for QNX's remote debug server.
The server manages stdin, out and err, however I am having
trouble finding out how GDB shares the text console's stdin
for a remote target.

When the inferior is given free reign to run, and GDB winds up
waiting for ever, what mechanisms exist to allow any subsequent
keyboard input to be captured and sent to the remote target?

Basically, I want to respond to a getch() in the inferior, or
run a 'vi' session in DDD's execution window via the remote
target connection.

What I have done so far is added the stdin fd to the fd set
for the select() in ser_unix_wait_for (gdb/ser-unix.c).  This
works fine for TCP/IP connections, but the code path is not
executed for serial connections.  I would also prefer not
to modify the generic GDB source files if a mechanism exists
that I can take advantage of.

Anyone?

Thanks.
Graeme Peterson (aka GP).