Changing the C/C++ compiler for gdb testsuite runs

I'm not a dejagnu expert, so the answer to this may be obvious.

Is there a way of forcing the GDB testsuite to use a particular compiler
that hasn't yet been installed (I have a gcc-3 compiler from a build tree
that I'd like to use to run the tests, but I don't particularly want to
have to install it first).  I've tried running

	make check

with both CC_FOR_TARGET and CC set to point to the compiler, but neither
seems to work.  There doesn't appear to be anything on this in the gdb
internals manual either.

R.