Re: 8 bit read

> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:25:31 -0700
> From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@cygnus.com>
> >
> > I was thinking about using memory attributes to allow GDB access to
> > segments outside the normal address space of the program being
> > debugged.  This would need some additions to the memory attributes,
> > but the real show-stopper is that there's no way to define regions and
> > attributes except interactively.
>
> Why is this a show stopper?

Because the implementation I had in mind was of a special interactive
command that would accept a selector for a memory region, define a
region, and stick the selector as a special attribute there.  The
target-specific memory-transfer function will then see that attribute
when GDB calls the to_xfer_memory method, and use special functions to
access that memory.

But the current API in memattr.c doesn't allow GDB applications code
to create memory regions except via the "mem" commands.

> A sequence of commands which define
> attributes for different memory ranges can be placed in a file and
> then sourced...

I don't see a smiley to go with the joke ;-)