Re: more on gdb server

On Tuesday, July 17, 2001, at 11:57 AM, Quality Quorum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure I am right about it, but it seems quite a neat idea to use
> gdbserver as a primary interface even for a local debugging. It is cheap
> resource wise and will provide for a neat separation of debugger per se
> and (target dependable) target control code.

I'm not convinced that the overhead is negligible.  You're
inserting an additional program and network stack trip in one
of the two known time-critical parts of GDB.  I think it should
be *possible* to use gdbserver all the time, but I'd want to see
encouraging performance numbers before advocating that we commit
to using it.  (Having gdbserver functional on all native configs
is kind of a prerequisite too. :-) )

Stan